You may wonder to know that; Rust is also called “Iron Eater”
It causes degradation of your iron tools. So, it’s important to keep your gardening tools free from rust. But we are not as careful as we should be with our tools because of our laziness or lack of time. As a result, the rusty layer accumulates on the tools. Moreover, dirty tools can serve as disease transmission.
Removing rust is not a complicated task. There are several methods to remove rust from your tools very fast at home.
Here I have discussed 24 easy methods of the rust off permanently including 5 preventive ways. Read the article and find the perfect way to eliminate rust from your tools.
What's On the Page
- 1 Organic Home Remedies for Remove Rust
- 2 Mechanical Methods of Remove Rust
- 3 Chemical Methods of Remove Rust
- 4 How to Protect Your Tools from Rust?
- 5 Final Words
Organic Home Remedies for Remove Rust
The white vinegar is the best organic rust removal. This household product works for all rusty tools including bolts and nuts. This is one of my favorite methods to clean corroded metal and rusty gardening tools.
Now the question is what type of vinegar is best for remove rust and corrosion? You can use white and apple cider vinegar. Both work well. But distilled vinegar is not good as natural rust removal.
How to remove rust easily from tools using vinegar?
Follow the easiest steps-
- Take the rusty tool and dip it in a basket of vinegar or spray vinegar on rusty areas.
- Let the solution work for overnight.
- Rinse well with water and dry with a towel.
Tips: Use an old toothbrush for rubbing and cleaning the rusty tools. Use sandpaper on the rustiest places.
Want to know how to use vinger to clean brass?
Mix 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 cup vinegar. Add flour in the solution to make a paste. Rub the paste on the brass. Wait for 10-15 minutes and rinse out. Lemon and ketchup can be used. You can also try the best metal polish for clean brass. (Our pick: Weiman Brass and Copper Polish and Cleaner)
Another burning question:
How long to soak the rusty metal in vinegar?
Actually, it depends on the type of rust and vinegar concentration. Some rust can be removed in 30 minutes and some can take a day. It is better to observe the tools after certain times to know that the rust has removed completely or not.
#Coca-Cola or Soda
Coca-Cola and Pepsi are highly acidic in nature. This is why it works as rust removal. A few drops of Coca-Cola or soda can de-rust your metal tools.
Follow the steps to remove rust with Coca-Cola-
- Spread the coca on the rusty parts of the tools or dip in the Coca-Cola
- Wait for 24 hours because it takes approx. 24 hours to remove rust.
- Rub the rust.
- Wash in running tap water and dry with a microfiber towel.
Coca-cola, baking soda, and potato can be used to remove rust from the tin. How can you do that?
Follow the steps-
- Rub the rust with steel wool and rinse with warm soapy water.
- Soak the tin in the baking soda and rub with the peeled potato.
- Soak again in the coca-cola, rinse and dry.
#Salt and Lemon
It is the best homemade rust remover. You can also use vinegar instead of lemon juice.
How to proceed:
- Sprinkle coarse salt on the rusty parts of garden tools.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Let stand for 2 to 3 hours.
- Rub the rusty area with the peels of lemon.
Baking soda is another home remedy to take rust off from your tools. It is another best natural way to remove rust from stainless steel
Here is the procedure of remove rust with baking soda–
- Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda with 1 tablespoon water and Prepare a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your tools.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
- Scrub the rust with a toothbrush, aluminum foil or steel wool
- Rinse your tools with clean water.
- Repeat the procedure if needed.
#Cream of Tartar and Baking Soda
Cream of tartar is a by-product of wine. It can be used as a rust eliminator.
To remove rust with the cream of tartar-
- Take 1 tablespoon cream, 1/2 cup of baking soda and mix together.
- Add hydrogen peroxide after a few minutes for making the paste.
- Rub the paste on the rusty area of tools.
- Wait for 30 minutes, rinse and dry.
#Warm Water and Dishwashing Detergent
People generally use this method to wash tools. But it also works to get rid of rust fast.
How to do that-
- Mix 1 tablespoon detergent in 3 cups of warm water.
- Apply the solution on rust.
- Let the solution work.
- Scrub them with a brush.
- Remove the loose rust and dry.
#Ketchup/ Tomato Sauce
Does tomato ketchup get rid of rust? It is one of the burning questions. The quick answer is YES. This method is suitable for a small spot of rust.
How to remove rust with ketchup? Here are the steps-
- Put ketchup or tomato sauce on a rusty stain.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Rub and rinse well with clean water.
Onion is also a miracle cure for rust. This is the best grandmother’s trick. You don’t believe that it’s work as magic.
How to proceed:
- Cut the onion into 2 pieces.
- Sprinkle the sugar on it.
- Take your rusty tools.
- Rub the onion on the rusty part.
Molasses are the sugarcane extract. It has chelating agents that make the rust in water-soluble. That’s why molasses work as a rust removal solution. If you want to use it to remove rust, follow these steps:
- Mix a quarter cup of molasses (85 g) in two liters of water.
- Soak the rusty tool in the solution.
- Wait for 12-24 hours.
- Take out the tool, Scrub, and wash.
- Repeat the same process if the rust does not disappear for the first application.
Newspaper sheets are sometimes enough to remove small rust stains from your tools. The use of newspaper sheets is a well-known technique for removing rust from tools. This method is very convenient for small spots. For this follow the simple steps below-
- Just take a few sheets of a newspaper that you do not read anymore.
- Roll them into a ball and soak them with white vinegar.
- Scrub the rusted parts thoroughly.
- Rinse with water before drying.
The potato contains oxalic acid that very effective agent for remove rust.
Steps of remove rust with potato-
- Peel a potato and grate it well.
- Rub it on the affected areas.
- If you want better results, you can enhance its effects with a little baking soda or vinegar.
A sander machine is a popular tool that can remove rust from power tools. The sanding technique is one of the simplest and most practical.
How to remove rust with a sanding gun-
- Wear protective gear (gloves, a suit, a pair of protective glasses, and a mask).
- Install a large tarpaulin on the work surface.
- Calibrate the tool to prevent clogging.
- Use it with river sand, specific sand, or abrasive. The sand should be poured into a bucket and place the suction carrot in the center.
- The nozzle should place near the tool and pull the trigger to release the sandblast on the rusted area.
Mechanical Methods of Remove Rust
Electrolysis is a very effective way to remove rust from inaccessible corners. I will try to understand the electrolysis process simply.
Follow the steps to remove rust from tools with electrolysis–
- Wash your tools with soapy water that there is no oil or wax.
- Make an anode and Connect one of the electrolysis wires to the anode.
- Connect the other wire to your rusty object.
- Make the electrolytic solution.
- You will need enough water in the plastic bucket to completely submerge the object.
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda or washing powder for 3 liters of water.
- Mix the solution to dissolve the powder.
- Set the anode and object in the solution and check that it is in the right place.
- The anode must surround the object, but will not touch each other! (Important)
- Connect the battery charger terminals to the object (negative terminal) and to the anode (positive terminal).
- Connect the charger with a 2 amp battery and plug it in.
- Do not touch the electrolyte solution when plugging on.
- After a few minutes, you should see bubbles “coming out”. Leave the object to marinate for 15-20 hours.
- After some time, the surface of the tank will be covered with a kind of mud. This is a good thing. The mud is the rust that has come off the object.
- Unplug the charger and remove the tool from the solution.
- Use a sponge to remove mud from the rusty surface. Mud will remove easily without rubbing too much.
- Use a soft bristle brush to access places you cannot reach with the sponge.
- Then wipe your object with a dry towel.
A pressure washer is a tool widely used in DIY and maintenance work. They exert effective pressure on the metal to remove rust. This technique is also suitable for removing paint.
How to remove rust by using a pressure washer?
- Wear safety gear.
- Spray on the small rusty area and adjust the perfect pressure level.
- Apply cleaning solution or detergent to the pressure washer.
- Spray on the rust and keep moving the nozzle.
A simple piece of aluminum foil can be useful to remove rust from many iron or steel elements. If you try this trick, follow the instructions below:
- Cut the aluminum foil into several pieces and immerse them in water.
- Rub the foil over the rusty tools and change it whenever necessary.
- From the first moment, you will notice that the mold is reduced and the object regains its brightness.
Some metal tools can be subjected to high temperatures without deforming them. In this case of your rusty tools, try this heating method to restore them.
- After making sure your object has no plastic parts or flammable paints, heat it until it will almost red.
- When you take it out, hit on a blunt object or a tool that does not change its shape.
- Keep your hands protected from the burn.
Chemical Methods of Remove Rust
#WD-40 and Others Rust Remover Spray
The WD-40 (Check on Amazon) can use in two different ways for removing rust from tools. It one of the best methods to remove rust from the chain and aluminum.
The first process of remove rust with WD-40-
- Spray WD-40 on your tools.
- Wait for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the rusty area and remove the residues.
The second process is-
- Immerse your tools in a container that will full of WD-40 multifunction products.
- Wait and scrub.
Sometimes, the strongest rust stains do not leave after this operation. In this case, you will need the best wire wheel or a file to scrub the rusty areas.
Here are some other best product and solution to remove rust from metal that you can buy-
- Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover(Best Overall)
- Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver 1z6-Fluid Ounce(Best for remove rust from steel pipe)
Oxalic acid is a weak acid. It works well as a rust remover. It is a very effective rust remover for all metal parts, and especially suitable for chrome parts.
How to remove the rust with oxalic acid?
- Remove dust and other particles from the tools with soap and water.
- Take oxalic acid and add 100 grams per liter of water in a bowl or bucket
- Apply the solution on the rusty parts and wait for 2-3 hours.
- Take the tools and rinse well with water to remove the rust.
- Dry the tools well to prevent from rusting again.
Chloride acid is a strong acid that you also can apply to remove rust from metal parts. Wear gloves to apply chloride acid on rusty tools.
How to remove rust with chloride acid–
- Make a solution of 50% water, 50% Salfuman (hydrochloric acid).
- Apply the solution on the oxidized parts and leave it for 4-5 hours. Remember: Bubbles will come out when the acid reacts with the oxide.
- Wash well with water.
- Dry the tools.
- You can get an even better result if you polish with fine grain sandpaper.
#Formalin/ Kerosene Bath/ Hydrogen Peroxide
It is a traditional method to get rid of rust. It is time-consuming but effective. How will you remove rust with kerosene or formalin? Follow the steps-
- Take a container according to the size of your rusty tools.
- Put the tools on the container and sink the tools with kerosene or formalin.
- Wait for an hour.
- Scrub the rusty area with the sandpaper or brush.
- Soak again on the kerosene and remove detached rust.
- If necessary scrub again.
- Dry the tool with a clean towel.
Hacks for rust:
You can also prevent your tools (nuts, bolts, scissors, knife) from rust by drowning into kerosene or formalin.
How to Protect Your Tools from Rust?
We know that prevention is better than cure. Tools are the helping hand to gardeners or DIYers. So it is necessary to protect the tools against rust. How to prevent rust? Don’t worry here is the 5 methods of preventing metal tools from rusting-
Water is the enemy of metals.
The water decomposes into oxygen and hydrogen. Once in contact with iron then oxygen forms the iron oxide that is called “rust”. So, the best way to prevent metals from oxidizing is to control the moisture. Maintaining a minimum level of humidity with a dehumidifier and reduces the degree of corrosion of metals.
#Petroleum Jelly/ Grease
To prevent the appearance of rust on your tools, we recommend using petroleum jelly. Apply petroleum jelly on your clean tools. Petroleum will form a layer of protective grease that will prevent rust.
#Olive oil/ Linseed oil
The oil creates a protective barrier to protect the iron from oxidation. This method protects both small and large tools.
Before storing the tools, soak your tools in oil for 5 minutes. Then wipe to remove the oil.
Tips: You can dip the garden tools in a container half-filled with a mixture of sand and 4 or 5 L of old motor oil to protect the garden tools for winter. Here is the best oil for garden tools-
The varnish or anti-rust paint is an effective product to prevent the oxidation of metals.
First, use a dry cloth to clean the tools and spray the coat of rust remover. Apply a second coat after two hours and wait two days before handling the object.
Here are some best rust inhibitor for steel that you may pick-
- BOESHIELD T-9 Rust & Corrosion Protection/Inhibitor and Waterproof Lubrication
- Corroseal Water-Based Rust Converter Metal Primer, Rust Converter – 1 Gal
How to Prevent the Appearance of Rust in a Toolbox?
The toolbox is the perfect place for store tools. But sometimes rust appearances in the tools box. It is important to know some tips to prevent rust from spreading and damaging all the tools.
- Take your tools out of the box.
- Clean the tools with a disinfectant.
- Let the tools dry in the open air.
- Then dry again with a cloth.
- Store your tools in the toolbox.
Rice is a cereal that has high absorbency. Place a handful of rice in your toolbox. The grains of rice will absorb the moisture present in the toolbox, which will prevent the appearance of rust. You can also place some pieces of coals or chalk to prevent rust. These can also absorb moisture.
WD-40, Coca-cola and white vinegar sometimes also use as a rust preventer.
I have tried to discuss every possible way to remove and prevent rust. Choose the perfect method and clean your old rusted tools.
Which method did you like most? Tell us in the comment section below and do not forget to share that if you know other effective tips and tricks to fix and prevent garden tools from rust.